USB Network Gate for Linux is a professional solution, which allows sharing any number of USB ports and devices on your computer over LAN/WAN/VLAN/VPN/Internet. Remote computers (clients) can connect to your computer (server) and communicate with USB devices, plugged into shared remote ports, as if those devices were connected directly to client computers. All applications that work with remote USB devices won’t see the difference and will treat them as local ones.
As USB Network Gate for Linux shares USB ports, not devices themselves, you can plug any USB device into shared USB port, then unplug this device and plug in another one, and it will automatically appear at the remote client side without any additional configuration.
Currently, 3 versions of the product are available: for Windows, Linux and Mac. Different combinations of server-client model can be applied, for example, client may have USB Network Gate installed on Linux, and server – on Windows, or vice versa.
With USB Network Gate for Linux you can:
- Share USB devices on the local PC (server) so that they become available for usage on the remote PC (client)
- Share any number of USB devices
- Freely unplug USB device and plug in another one into shared USB port on the server – the device will automatically appear on the client
- Give custom names to your USB devices (label them) to let clients easily identify them
- Create callback connection (connection with a client initiated from the server side) – Windows and Linux
- Set authorization password and enable traffic encryption
- Change traffic encryption, authorization settings and custom names on the go for already shared devices
- Compress traffic
- Disable current connection from the server side
- Access remote shared USB devices from virtual machine, remote desktop or blade server
- Access remote shared USB devices via Wi-Fi
- Two types of connection with remote devices are available: “Connect” and “Connect once”, the latter allowing client to establish one-time connection without attempts to restore it if broken
- See who currently occupies shared USB device from other clients’ side
- USB devices can be shared on the server and subsequently accessed remotely by clients over LAN/WAN/VLAN/VPN/Internet
- Any number of clients can connect to remote shared USB devices
- Server and Client are handy combined into a single application. Client part can be installed separately, though.
- USB Network Gate daemon can be launched without kernel module loading
- No need to change existing network configuration to share and access USB devices
- No system reboot is required after USB ports sharing/unsharing
- Possibility to specify TCP port which will be used in connection
- All actions performed by the program are monitored and logged into Activity log
- Special icons assigned to USB devices let you know their statuses (shared, authorization is used etc)
- USB v1.1 and v2.0 compatible. USB v3.0 support
- OHCI, UHCI and EHCI standards for USB are supported
- Fully compatible with Hyper-Threading Technology and multiprocessor platforms
- Works on virtual machines (VMware, VMware ESX Server, Citrix XenServer and Microsoft Hyper-V support)
- Support for RDP and ICA protocols
- Per-session USB device isolation (USB flash drives and USB cameras in test mode)
The list of supported USB devices
To see the list of USB devices, that can be shared and accessed with USB Network Gate for Linux, refer to this section.
- Licensing policy is based on the number of USB devices that can be shared on the server, not the number of clients that can connect to remote shared USB devices. Client part of USB Network Gate can be installed separately.
- Consider Source Code License if you want to get the programming source code.
- SDK License allows integrating our technology into your own software/hardware product. The SDK Evaluation Kit is sent upon your request to let you evaluate the SDK License before purchasing.
Trial Version limitations:
Electronic Team, Inc. offers free Trial version of USB Network Gate for Linux for evaluation purposes. During 14-day Trial period you can test all the features of USB Network Gate for Linux. During Trial period you will be able to share only one USB device. Also, ‘Debug’ log level is available only in registered version of USB Network Gate for Linux.
If the product suits your needs, you can acquire a license according to your needs. Visit /products/usb-over-ethernet/ to download free Trial version of the program, read about types of licenses available and place the order.
Platforms USB Network Gate for Linux was tested on:
- Ubuntu 14.04-19.10
- Centos 7
USB Network Gate for Linux Client requires kernel version from 2.6.32 to 4.4.